In light of the ongoing WGA & SAG-AFTRA strikes, The Actors Fund of Canada (The AFC) have created a condensed Emergency Financial Aid (EFA) application form for temporary use, so they can efficiently help the many people in need of financial assistance due to low or no work as a result of the strikes. They are already seeing a significant increase in applications and we are informing our Members about this temporary strike application form, so Members can apply to the EFA program with more ease during this challenging time.
The AFC is short-term, charitable emergency financial assistance for essential household bills and costs that cannot otherwise be paid. This assistance is based on immediate financial need and does not need to be paid back. Right now, The AFC is focusing on making sure that people can meet their expenses for the next 4-8 weeks and consider requests for one month at a time. The AFC does not provide income replacement or ongoing assistance.
To receive financial assistance, you need to:
- Be professionally eligible:
- Are working age and have earned the majority of your income from entertainment industry work in the period from 2019 until present OR
- Are over 65 and have earned the majority of your income from the industry over your working life;
- Demonstrate urgent financial need (have less than 8 weeks living expenses in the bank);
- Make all reasonable efforts to support yourself through other resources;
- Provide the required information and documents.
To download the fillable PDF for Emergency Financial Aid, please click here
For more information, please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions section on the EFA website at https://afchelps.ca/get-help/.
For the condensed, strike-specific Emergency Financial Aid application form, go to https://afchelps.ca/strike.