Reporting directly to the Business Manager, the Chief Steward will apply human resources experience toward ensuring the terms and conditions of the ACFC West, Local 2020 Unifor – CMPA Collective Agreement (Contract) are adhered to on our film and television production worksites. The Chief Steward provides contract interpretation and guidance to union members and employers and seeks to foster positive working relationships with both parties to ensure best possible workplace practices are followed. A true generalist, the Chief Steward will provide support to represented workers in areas of occupational health and safety, grievance procedures and other aspects of rights and responsibilities that exist in the workplace. Through participation on various industry committees and organizations such as ActSafe and the Reel Green Standing Committee on Sustainability, the Chief Steward represents the Union and provides feedback to the Business Manager on the activities therein. Such feedback includes, among others, topics such as industry training initiatives and government regulatory changes relevant to the film and television production industry. Through regular face-to-face interaction with workers, the Chief Steward plays a key role in information transfer between the Union and the workers. Travel to worksites to speak to workers and employers, attending general membership meetings, and, occasionally, industry events outside of normal work hours is required.
- Take direction from and report to the Business
- Provide information, guidance, and support to Union Members on a variety of issues related to the workplace such as occupational health and safety, workers’ rights and responsibilities, and the interpretation of the ACFC West, Local 2020 Unifor – CMPA Collective Agreement (Contract).
- Maintain and develop knowledge on an ongoing basis of regulatory changes that may affect film and television production worksites and regularly report on those changes to the Business Manager.
- Represent the Union’s position in areas of Contract interpretation or disagreement with employers and, work to ensure employers are in compliance with the Contract.
- Represent workers within our bargaining units in circumstances where individual or group disputes arise between workers and employers or between workers
- Work with the Union’s crewing staff to ensure best practices are followed by the employers when hiring crew members per the Hiring Practices Policy.
- Physically visit productions on a regular basis to liaison with workers and employers and assess working conditions.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with employers’ representatives.
- Represent the Union as a member of various committees and industry
- HR Certification, Bachelor Level University Degree, or proven experience a Senior Steward capacity.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a small office environment to achieve best possible
- Ability to multitask various work streams
- Ability to understand the ACFC West, Local 2020 Unifor – CMPA Collective Agreement (Contract) and provide guidance to employers and union members in the interpretation
- A generalist human resources knowledge of relevant workplace legislation in British Columbia such as (but not limited to), the Employment Standards Act, Safety Standards Act and Privacy Act; in addition to a general understanding of WorkSafe BC processes.
- Professional written and verbal communication and people skills.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook and the ability to learn to use our in-house
- Ability to assess timesheets, pay statements and other documents for
- Ability to self-manage information in an e-file and hard-copy system that is efficient, accurate and logical.
- Possess a valid class five driver’s licence and an automobile suitably licenced and insured for work in British Columbia. (Vehicle allowance provided).
- Ability to travel out of town on occasion for over-night
- Ability to attend general meetings (four Sundays per year).
- Ability to attend industry events after normal work hours, on occasion, as
Please Note: Preference will be given to applicants whose sole Union affiliation is ACFC West, Local 2020 Unifor.